Friday, May 11, 2012

Too Many Black Pumps

As you will see with today's post, I'm not very good at getting onboard trends when they're trendy.  I tend to resist and wait until the trend is almost over...and then I dive in.  It's not something I do consciously, it just happens.

Of course, you've all seen mod podged shoes all over the web for the past 8 months or so, which is why I'm finally caving and doing them today.  Plus, it's finally Spring here, and I wanted some pretty shoes...for free~

Here's what you need:
I also ended up using an erasable fabric marker
and a sharp blade.
Steps:

1) There are easier ways to do this, but you can drape your fabric over your shoe and trace a cut line with an erasable fabric marker.  After I took this photo I had to redo this step because I realized I was doing this on the wrong side.  The right side of the fabric should be facing out, otherwise you won't get a proper fit when you turn your fabric.

2) Cut your fabric out, you should end up with a funny look shape similar to this:


3) Lay your fabric over your shoe to make sure you have a good fit, you may need to do a bit of trimming.  Also, cut some notches into all curved areas.  This will help it lay flatter when you glue it down.


4) I didn't take a shot of the actual gluing process, but basically you just slap some Mod Podge down, place your fabric over top, and gently tug and pull till you get it in place. 


I had some overhang along the edges.  I did this so that I could make a nice clean cut along the edges.  I ended up using a surgical blade seam ripper.  I still got some jaggedy edges and have to do quite a bit of fixing up but it's not a bad cut.

5) You can add another layer of Mod Podge on top to seal it in and protect the fabric, but I didn't.  I knew that if I did the black would really show through and darken the fabric.  It just means that I don't wear these shoes on rainy days or down any dirt roads...I should be OK.

6) Cut a short length of gathered lace and angle the edges.


7) Run a bead of hot glue along the edge and adhere to the inside of the front of your shoe.

How to Mod Podge Shoes, How to cover shoes with fabric, Mod Podge Shoes, Shoe recycle, Shoe restyle

And now I have one less pair of black pumps (This is a good thing).


Have you mod podged a pair of shoes yet?  Go ahead...everyone's doing it!

Have a great weekend everyone!

This project was featured here:
five days five ways  feature friday free for all     

26 comments:

Thrifty Crafty Girl said...

Those are too cute! Nice job!

Little City Farm said...

Wow. No I haven't done this yet, but you make it look tempting. Very pretty.

CREATIVE KHADIJA said...

So Nice! looking perfect!

Bethany @ A Fish Who Likes Flowers said...

Those look great! I love the fabric that you used. And just a suggestion, although I'm not sure if it would work, but maybe you could spray your shoes with waterproofing spray, the same stuff that you use on suede shoes. I don't know if it would make the black shine though, but it would protect the fabric, since all it does is make the water bead up and roll off.

Myric said...

I love make-over stories! I enjoyed your tutorial turning these shoes to something really pretty!

There is a link party going on in my blog today. I would LOVE for you to share this :)
http://myricandreasen.blogspot.com/2012/05/link-party-and-give-away.html

xoxo
Myric

Hani said...

The shoes turned out great. The lace at the top looks cute..
Thanks for linking up at friday fun party.. Have a nice weekend!

momto8 said...

oh my gosh...I love this! no longer the average black pumps!!

Freedom & Fairness said...

Hi, I'm a new follower! Great work on the shoes!

Rose Jesky said...

I love this so much I will have to feature this next week. Thanks for coming and sharing this with us at The Sunday Round Up.
Rose

RaNae @EweCreekCottage said...

Hello you stopped by my blog thanks so much what a great porject for me to find on my first visit here those turned out great.
See u at your Party
RaNae

Amy said...

Oh shut up!! These are darling! I love the little piece of lace. I keep telling myself to do this to a pair of my shoes.

Donna Wilkes said...

I love anything that involves Mod Podge. I don't wear heels any more, but I do have quite a collection of wide strappy sandals. I'm thinking of mixed media sandals - I might have to use a heavy duty gel medium for my rhinestones - yes, I said rhinestones!

Distressed Donna Down Home

Unknown said...

Oh my goodness! I think these are wonderful and unique pumps. Wonderful refashion!
Thanks for sharing at our Sunday Round Up! Can't wait to see what you have for us next weekend. Have a GREAT week!
xoxo
Heather

Lee Caroline - A World of Inspiration said...

I am speechless, what a fabulous idea!, saw you at the link party, I will have to check out more of your blog, always looking for inspiration to share on my blog "Lee Caroline - A world of Inspiration".

Lee ☺

Hanni said...

Oh wow! I am amazed! You made a wonderful job! LOVE LOVE these shoes!!
Hanni

Jill said...

Nope - I haven't modge podged yet - but I will, and your shoes are FABULOUS!!!!

Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
Hope you have a fabulous week!
Jill @ Creating my way to Success
http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

Gen said...

So pretty!!! Great idea T. I've got lots of shoes to play with... Thanks!

Homemade Heather said...

Ooo so pretty! Love that bit of lace! TFS
xo
heather

Abbie said...

Okay, I totally am planning on doing this on a pair (or two) of shoes, and I LOVE how yours turned out. Great job! I'll be featuring you this weekend for Feature Friday FREE-FOR-ALL! : )

Anne Maskell said...

Your shoes look lovely! I need to rummage around in my closet for a pair to re-do!

Michelle said...

This is absolutely brilliant! I've never seen this before. Thank you!

Rose Jesky said...

Your being featured today! Come see and grab a button.
http://www.arosiesweethome.com/2012/05/fabulous-friday-features.html
Rose

Shannah @ Just Us Four said...

This is a fantastic project! I would have never thought to do that.
Would you consider linking it up at my Pinworthy Projects Party? I hope to see you there!

Gargi said...

Great job!
They look even better now ;)

Karen at Bargain-ista.com said...

These are gorgeous! They turned out great! What a smooth finished look :)

Julie Bagamary said...

GREAT shoes. I've painted some but not tried fabric...yet.

Linkwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...