Friday, May 25, 2012

Butterfly Overload

Just when you thought I couldn't possibly come up with something else to stick butterflies on... I have...BIG time!

Here's what you need for today's project:
Can you see how big my canvas is?
70cm X 90cm!!!  It's BIG
(for you imperialists, 90cm = 1 yard)
I forgot to add glue to this pic.  I ended up just using a regular old glue stick.
Steps:
1) Paint your canvas background colour.


Don't forget the edges!

2) Make a pattern for the overall shape you want.  Mine, of course, is a butterfly.  I started by printing one out on my printer as big as I could.


3) Then to enlarge it, I placed it on some craft paper the size of my canvas and just started outlining it bigger and bigger until I got it as big I could to fit the canvas.  For mine, I just did half, and then cut my craft paper on the fold to get a nice symmetrical shape.


4) Place your pattern onto your painted canvas once it's dry and super duper gently and softly trace the outline with a pencil.

I just used dots all the way around.  It was so faint the camera couldn't even pick it up~

5) Now, cut out loads and loads of butterflies.  All different shapes, sizes, and colours.


Even though my Silhouette was giving me nothing but headaches (tearing paper instead of cutting it) I managed to get lots of butterflies.  I ended up using probably 1/2 -3/4 of a page of about 16 different papers and I had loads left over (bring on the butterfly crafts!).

6) Just start gluing and layering and gluing and layering and...you get the idea.


You should end up with something like this!  (Sorry about the bad pics, I just couldn't get the lighting to cooperate).

Butterflies, butterfly crafts, silhouette crafts, easy papercrafts, butterfly canvas, butterfly art, make it yourself art, do it yourself art, what to do with a blank canvas

I love how it turned out!  Reminds me a bit of a patchwork quilt.


For now it hangs in my dining room next to the fireplace.  That wall was in desperate need of something, anything.  I'm sure it will eventually make it's way to someplace not quite so prominent.

This is a fun and easy craft that you could change up so easily to  make it your own.  Try different shapes, or all coordinating papers.  It took me several nights to complete but it was oddly relaxing to just go sit in my studio and glue butterflies for an hour here and there.
Don't forget, I have a giveaway going on right now.  There aren't many entries yet so your odds of winning are pretty darn good.

Have a crafty week everyone!

This project was featured here:

These Peas Taste Funny

20 comments:

Little City Farm said...

I love how you have the butterflies flying away in that lower corner - adds so much interest. I would never have thought to do that, lol.

Ann said...

So clever. I love this!

Veronica and Daniel said...

this is beautiful! I love how the little butterflies make up a bigger one!

Elise Engh said...

This is awesome! Butterflies are addicting aren't they?

CREATIVE KHADIJA said...

Beautiful :) love it...

Gen said...

WOWZERS! You are taking this butterfly thing to a whole new level! Beautiful! I love that you went for yellow there... gorgeous!

Cynthia Hanna said...

Really love this! Visiting from the Check Me Out Saturday link up :)

Kayla's Creations said...

How adorable! You are so talented! Thanks so much for sharing at Sunday round up!
Kayla:)

Natasha Mairs - Serenity You said...

love how the butterfly's fly off at the bottom

Natasha @ www.serenityyou.blogspot.com

ana@carpe_diem said...

very very interesting! the way they all sum up in a big butterfly... so nice

Jill said...

Oh this is fabulous! Love it! Going to shout out about it on facebook!!




Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
Hope you have a fabulous week!
Jill @ Creating my way to Success
http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

Jill said...

Sorry Tamara - for some reason it won't let me link to your blog on facebook! :(

Unknown said...

Wow.. This is absolutely Gorgeous! I just love the effect of the butterflies flying away at the bottom!
Hope you will share with my Pink Hippo Party @ http://pinkapotamus.blogspot.com/2012/05/pink-hippo-party-80.html
xoxo
Amie @ Pinkapotamus

Trixi said...

oh wow! I am stunned! Speachless! It looks amazing, what a great Idea! I loooove butterflies!

Bethany @ A Fish Who Likes Flowers said...

This turned out beautiful! What a creative use of butterfly cut outs.

Janel from NellieBellie said...

So pretty! I dont even want to think about how long it took you to cut out those butterflies! But it was worth it!

Stephanie said...

Wow, so pretty!

Jenilyn said...

Very Pretty! I would love for you to link the up at "I Made This", going on now at Grits & Giggles! http://www.gritsandgiggles.blogspot.com/2012/05/i-made-this-7.html

Betsy said...

Cute idea! I might need to make a smaller version. I don't have much wall space.

throughbetsyslookingglass.blogspot.com

Lauren said...

This is so cool looking!

I would love it if you would link this up at Well Crafted Wednesdays! You can find it here:

http://thewellcraftedhome.blogspot.com/2012/05/well-crafted-wednesdays-link-party-6.html

Linkwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...